What is the reason that brings you to Portugal?

I need a visa to get into the country.

Work visas
Student Visa
Visa D7 Income or reform
Visa D2 for Entrepreneurs

I'm already in Portugal and I want to stay

Expression of interest art º 88
Residence permit
Other visas

I want to ask the Portuguese nationality

Children or residents for more than 6 years
grandchildren or married to a Portuguese
Descendant of Sephardic Jews

Want to work In Portugal

You will need to obtain a visa in a Portuguese consulate suitable for the type of job/employment you will perform

Subordinate work

Less specialized functions

Differentiated work in a company.
It applies to most immigration situations and is subject to the application for a work permit at IEFP

Highly skilled

Highly qualified high-level functions

Professionals with management positions, university studies and highly qualified functions, in new technologies or areas of interest for the national economy

Independent work

Independent Professionals with local customers

If you have customers in Portugal you can exercise an independent activity. Remember that you need an authorization if it is a regulated activity (see at the bottom of the page)

Restrictions on immigration from non-EU countries

Authorized immigrants per year

The number of entries allowed by the current quota system is ZERO

Due to the economic crisis the visa regime for functions of Qualified work has been cancelled.
All visas assigned for these functions are for reasons Exceptional And they have to be well-grounded.

Work Permit (IEFP)

Due to the economic crisis of 2010 an immigration quota scheme was created that strongly limits the obtaining of a visa for subordinate work.It is up to the IEFP (Institute of Employment and Vocational training) to issue a work permit in line with the existing quotas.

Highly skilled function proof

The quotas do not affect the highly qualified functions but the Portuguese State must accept its function as such. The criteria are subjective and will have to be negotiated with the consulate.A qualification accreditation is usually requested.

Learn how to negotiate the visa to have a successful request

Grounds for the visa application to ensure the exceptional and the negotiation With the Portuguese Government it is essential to the success of a request.

The information collected in the consulates is often unreliable and may mislead. All the more so that consular services are just the visible face of immigration. The Decision is made in Lisbon For the services of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the SEF (Foreign and Border Service).

We do hundreds of processes a year and we know how to do this negotiation. Tell us your case.

If you make the visa application and it is refused, it will be difficult to change the decision

A declined visa will only be approved through an intervention with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Lisbon and for very strong reasons. PREPARE yourself well before you go to the consulate

You need a work contract before you apply for a visa

To obtain a work visa (residency), you must have a promise of a written contract with a Portuguese company

Ask for a Residence Visa For work is only possible if you have a Employment contract And if this guarantees a Higher yield To the national minimum wage.

In case you have family members in your charge the minimum monthly amount required increases in 50% For wives and more 30% For each child.

Your employer must be actively involved in the visa process

It is not easy to obtain a successful visa application if your employer is not an active participant in the process because there are several documents that will have to be produced by him

The function is not highly qualified. Need a work permit

The process of obtaining the work permit has to be done by the employer and lasts for about 2 months

In order to protect employment for national and community workers, by law it must be Opened by IEFP an international competition For the function that the immigrant comes to occupy. The contest will be open to applications for 30 days and at the end the employer would say whether you want to hire your first choice (the immigrant), or one of the possible applications for the job ad opened by IEFP.

The request to IEFP is made by the Portuguese company that wants to employ the immigrant and the process lasts between 60 to 80 days.

The work permit issued by the IEFP must comply with the existing immigration quota scheme which limit the contracting of third countries to the European Union.

IEFP's work permit is negative. Should I give up?

No. You will have to defend your candidacy with the Portuguese Government as it may be considered relevant to the national economy

A negative work permit is not the end of the process but will depend on the function To which you apply, your Level of qualifications, Sector Of the economy where it will work-areas considered strategic as the new technology are normally approved, and the level Wage That you will enjoy – higher values are more valued in the assessment of the application.


The visa was approved but only 4 months of validity

Residence/work visas and even temporary ones are issued with 4 months of validity and 2 entries

Immigration processes are Two phases:

1-Visa in Portuguese consulate

To enter Portugal you must apply for a temporary visa (up to 1 year) or residence (periods exceeding 1 year). First, you ask for a visa at the Portuguese consulate of the country where you are a resident. Citizens of countries not belonging to the European Community must apply for a visa to work in Portugal.The physical presence at the consulate during the visa delivery is mandatory.

2-Residence permit at SEF

Once in Portugal you have the visa time (usually 4 months) to ask for a residence permit lasting 1 year, renewable by 2 times for periods of 2 years.After 6 years in Portugal from the date of the first residence permit you may ask for Portuguese nationality

I have an interview at SEF for my residency.

Once you have approved the work visa, you can make an appointment for an interview at the Immigration and Frontiers Service where you will submit your application for a residence permit.

Remember that you will have to have all the documentation in order for your request to be accepted. There is a screening process pre and many processes Are refused at this stage Until the documentation is correct.

Learn more about the residence permit application

Can I go to Portugal and get a job after I get there?

I can't get a job without being in the country. Can always come and legalize yourself after you have work

We strongly advise you to try to find a job before coming to Portugal. Currently there are many employers who agree to conduct job interviews by Skype or similar apps.

The work visa is the quickest way to obtain the residence permit.

However, if you choose to For coming directly without a job And only then to legalize, can do it through a Manifestation of interest art º 88.

Do not forget that you must fulfil two conditions:

  1. Have a promise/employment contract
  2. have entered legally in Portuguese territory to have proof of this

The process of the manifestation of interest art º 88 is complex and must Get more information. Know more..

How can I find a job in Portugal

The New Way Visa does not find jobs for immigrants, but to help you we give you a list of employment site in Portugal

Will my family need a visa?

An immigrant's family should be in charge of this, only need a tourism visa to enter Portugal

The legal immigrant has the right to bring his family forward and provided that he is economically dependent on him.

For many countries a tourist visa is sufficient for the family to enter the country. There are countries where a family reunification visa will be required.

Once in Portugal, you will be asked for a residence permit by family reunification which also allows you to work. Know more...

I'm a citizen of the European Union. Do I need a visa to work?

Citizens of member countries of the European Union do not need a work visa

Although not required work visa is Mandatory Registration after 90 days in Portugal.

There are professions that require enrollment in a professional association

If you wish to exercise these liberal professions you will have to make the request for recognition

Doctors, engineers, architecture, psychologists, dentists... there are many professions with profession associations that can only be exercised, on behalf of others or as an independent professional, after recognition of qualifications by these associations.

This process requires a prior recognition of the Diploma of qualifications by a Portuguese university, making it a lengthy and complex process.

Other special visas

There are a number of situations that give rise to special visas

  • Tourism and business Visa – issued for 90 days and does not allow meaningful work.
  • Visas for the pursuit of scientific research activities in research centres or activities as faculty at universities
  • Visa for the exercise of sporting activities
  • Medical treatment Visa
  • Visa for follow-up of family subject to medical treatment
  • Student visa to attend university or vocational courses as well as vocational training
  • Visa for Religious
  • Visa for family reunification

A refused visa cannot be altered

Currently Many visas are refused And so think twice before submitting your request. Consider asking for help because you can only get a chance to succeed

Yes, as long as you obtain a visa for the purpose of working as a professional on behalf of others or independent.

It depends on the type of agreement your country has with the Portuguese State. If you do not need to apply for a visa and it is automatically obtained on arrival in our country, then your family will not need a visa.

It is a grey area whose final appreciation always depends on the Portuguese authorities. However, the level of seniority in the company (Directors and administrators), highly technical functions requiring specialized superior training (usually university level) as is the case with new technologies, are usually considered Highly qualified.

There is a list of professions published by the government.

All of the 16-year-olds (legal age) may work after obtaining the residence permit on the grounds of family grouping.

The residence permit is valid for 2 inputs and for 4 months, the period during which the respective holder is required to apply for a residence permit.

They do not need a visa to obtain residence permits for foreigners who are in the following situations:

  • Smaller, Children of foreign nationals, born in Portuguese territory, who benefit from resident status identical to that granted to any of their parents (for the purposes of issuing the residence permit, any of the parents shall submit their application within 6 months Following the birth register of the minor);
  • Family members of national citizensand national citizens of States parties to the Agreement on the European Economic Area;
  • Those who have ceased to benefit from the Right of asylumIn Portugal, because they have ceased the reasons on the basis of which they have obtained the said protection;
  • Those who suffer from a DiseaseRequiring prolonged medical assistance obstruct to return to the country in order to avoid risk to the health of the own;
  • Smaller, where they are in one of the situations covered by the provisions of paragraph 1 of Article 1921of the Civil code;
  • Those who have fulfilled Effective military serviceIn the Portuguese armed forces;
  • Those whose activity in the fieldScientific, cultural, economic or socialis considered to be of fundamental interest to the country;
  • Those who live in Union of fact with Portuguese citizen, with a national citizen of States parties to the Agreement on the European Economic Area or with a resident foreigner in accordance with the law (only the actual unions with resident citizens are considered when they have had that quality for at least two years and when the Member of the family is regularly in national territory);
  • Those who have not been absent from national territory and whose Right of residence has expired;
  • Those who have Minor children living in PortugalOr with Portuguese nationality over which they effectively exercise parental power and to ensure sustenance and education;
  • Those who have beenWork visa holders during a three-year uninterrupted period;
  • Those who have beenHolders of residence permitDuring an uninterrupted period of five years;
  • Diplomatic and consular agents(e) Their spouses, ascenders and descendants in charge, accredited in Portugal for a period of not less than 3 years.

In cases where you may ask for the grant of the residence permit with the respective visa waiver, the required documents shall vary depending on the particular situation in which you are and allow you to be entitled to that dispensation.

Schengen uniform visas allow national citizens of third countries who need visas to enter or transit in the countries that are part of the Schengen area.

These visas are designated by uniforms, as their regulations are common to all member countries of the Convention implementing the Schengen Agreement.

They are intended for short stay up to 90 days and are particularly granted for tourism.

Long-term visas, regulated in accordance with national legislation in force, may be ofTemporary Stada or residence,Depending on the duration of the stay and enable the holder to remain in Portugal for the intended reason:

  • Study,
  • Stage,
  • Work,
  • Medical treatment, among others.

The temporary stay visa is valid, as a rule, for 4 months and for multiple entries.

Yes. The presence at the time of the visa application is mandatory. There are only a few consulates that for geographical reasons (cover very large areas) allow the treatment of visa by mail.

Foreign members of the Portuguese family benefit from Regime identical to that granted to the families of other citizens of the European Union, the scheme provided for in Decree-Law No. 60/93, of March 3, with the amendments introduced by Decree-Law No. 250/98, of 11 August (this legislation is available for consultation in www.acime.gov.pt).

You do not need a visa and a residence card will be issued after you arrive in Portugal, in harmony with the provisions of the Decree-law already mentioned.